departments each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in
■ Clothes dryer fire incidence in residential buildings was higher in the fall and winter months,
peaking in January at 11 percent.
■ Failure to clean (34 percent) was the leading factor contributing to the ignition of clothes
dryer fires in residential buildings.
■ Dust, fiber, and lint (28 percent) and clothing not on a person (27 percent) were, by far, the
leading items first ignited in clothes dryer fires in residential buildings.
■ Fifty-four percent of clothes dryer fires in residential buildings were confined to the object of
Property damage inspections by Dottrio's Maryland Public Adjusters frequently result in one common source of potential house fires; clogged dryer vents. As shown in the photos to the left lint and other debris can and will become trapped in dryer vents through normal use. The resulting air flow deficiency can quickly lead to overheating and ultimately to a fire. These fires can result in significant property damage, injuries, and even the loss of life. If you need more reason to inspect your dryer vent system consider the following: A dryer with lint and other debris in the vent system will take longer to dry clothes as moisture is unable to escape through the vent system. This blockage in the vent system will lead to increased utility bills and much longer drying cycles. These longer run cycles will result in a decreased life expectancy of your clothes dryer. Expensive utility bills, repairs, and appliance replacements are usually not high on the want list of most consumers. At Dottrio our first concern during a property damage inspection is your safety and avoiding further damage while identifying all problem areas in your home or business. Consultations and damage inspections are available at no cost to you and may just save a life. If you would like to have your home inspected for damage that would be covered under the terms of your insurance policy please contact us today at 301-971-4040.
Please feel free to download the report below to learn more about dryer vent fires and how to avoid them.